Thursday, January 12, 2006

A BEAST for a SMOOK



My friend Smook thought I should put up animation keys I have done on past productions. I couldn't get the hole page scanned, the paper is 16 FLD and my scanner is only 8.5 by 11. The top is who tight I would go to had off to an assistant and the 2nd is a rough before I tighten.
B&B2 1996 Disney Toronto Canada , my first Disney production.
This character has a special place in my heart. I do miss Classical ... You have to do it to understand it.
I always admired Frank Thomas Ward Kimball and Glen Keane . They animated with emotion you could see it in the hard and soft of there pencil lines on the paper. They were searchers, meaning they would feel the drawing out and when things would come into light there pencil would harden in it determination an pull the character out. This was vey much how I animated.
I always said if Frank Thomas, Ward Kimball and glen Keane were fused as one he would have been a kickass son of a bitch. I also looked to the other greats don't get me wrong , but in my beginning years I would look to those three and study their work. To give me a foundation to start from.

16 Comments:

Blogger MikeS said...

These are beauties, you beast!

Aren't you glad I am not in the studio everyday with this kind of humour!

5:51 AM  
Blogger BLOGGED ARTERY said...

wow! these are great Joe! I'm diggin the roughs! MORE!

7:15 AM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

Thanks guys
I might dig up more from my archive.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Mark McDonnell said...

WOW, great stuff man. Love that character . . .something special is right.

MAC

10:12 AM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

Thank you Mark
I've been to your Blog I love the post of pan paper with all the charcter designs . solid stuff

11:03 AM  
Blogger kevin micallef said...

Excellent Joe..I've always liked your Beast drawings!!

12:20 PM  
Blogger PEPE said...

GRAND WORK!!

6:19 PM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

Thank you pepe

your paintings are great.

11:01 AM  
Blogger J said...

Cool to see some anim roughs Joe. I was wondering when you'd post some.

6:23 PM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

hey Jabberwocky
I was at disney T.O for 4yrs and worked on a bunch of direct to videos I left in 1998. to ork on features with a studio by the name of Yowza they would get work from the L.A studios.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Enzo Avolio said...

Hello Joe,

Enzo here. You still got it that's for sure!
Keep it coming!

Go Itay Go!

1:18 PM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

Gracia Enzo

AVANTI TUTTI!

2:11 PM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:12 PM  
Blogger PORK-PIE said...

Well lookee here! It's my old pal Joe!!! How you been?? I miss you out here in Vancouver, man! How's la famiglia? Great to see you and your work online buddy.

8:50 PM  
Blogger JOE GIAMPAPA said...

LUC! I'm so caught off guard I"m speechless

9:43 PM  
Blogger Jason C said...

WOW! Amazingly expressive roughs... Such feeling..

Did you work with Rick Knowles at all at disney Toronto?? He was my animation instructor...

great work.. I'll bee stoppign by this blog often =)

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home